Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Laurel Mountain Trip

Dan had a full week staying in the Laurel Mountains, south of Pittsburgh last week. He took our motorhome to Roaring Run resort, where we set it up among the beautiful fall colors. The resort was quite empty of guests during the week and it all made for a quiet retreat. He couldn't stop talking about how the fall colors were in their peak and how georgeous all the countryside looked. Of course Rita had to work but Dan picked her up on Friday night and we both stayed through the weekend continuing the fall activities. Dan rode the Allegheny Passage Trail several days. This is a trail, mostly paved by compact gravel, that goes from Pittsburgh and to Washington D.C. The area he rode was at OhioPyle State Park, about one hour from Pittsburgh. It is an easy trail that when completed by next year will go 330 some miles from Pittsburgh to Washington. The trail goes along the Youghegheny river and into the deeply wooded areas of Pennsylvania. I cannot completely describe how beautiful it is all year long. It as Dan mentioned a compacted trail, like riding on soft concrete. The trail has no more than an incline of 2% for most of it and is easy riding. Dan took his bible with him and found that bible reading was never better than riding the trail. He met and had some good conversations with some Kayak folks and met a lot of bikers, although during the week it was very quiet. On Saturday this week Dan and Rita walked a good portion of the trail and than enjoyed some good spiced apple cider at the ButterFly Inn along the trail. This is a must see area if any of you all ever come to see us here in Pittsburgh. Rita is back at work this week and I don't know if Dan is ready to stay put with all the good fall changes coming about. It is getting cooler this week, so I guess it is a good time to stay inside and keep warm until the next warm breezes come through, I hope soon. Hope you all are having a great week. Pictures are here for your viewing of some of the trip. GOD BLESS

1 comment:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and explaining what they are from. Fall is one of the things I miss most about PA! Just one of many reasons why Phil and I are excited about moving out of state. Those pictures were gorgeous!!! If we ever get up there, you will definitely have to take us on a trail-ride! I will continue to look over and enjoy those pictures.