Wednesday, May 16, 2007

MOM

Although I do not have my mother with me anymore as she is glowing in GOD's glory and celebrating Heaven with our true father, I truely miss her. I think of her everyday and see her presence in all of the many memories and things she left us to remember her by. Growing up with my mother was definitely a great experience. Since my brothers were so much older than I, Mom and Dad and I grew up together in a period of time that had its hardships. My father was ill most of my teenage life and Mom worked hard at the MaxAnn Bakery in Hickory, PA. keeping the family going. I remember most the closeness we had during those years as it seemed at times that we were the only ones supporting each other. I won't forget the first paycheck I received from my part-time work at Grants department store when I was 16 years of age. Mom always liked listening to good music, especially hymns. I took most of that check as I remember and bought us a record player and a few Tennessee Ernie records. Mom and I wore that record player out and she kept it for a number of years even after the family moved to California. It was my working and Mom's hard work that contributed to a difficult financial time for us but we got through it all and were the closer for it. It taught me how to share and has been a part of me to this day to share with others whenever I could, especially family. Mom and I used to sit on our front porch and listen to the rain and radio programs and spent hours talking about school, the boys, Dad's difficulties and the blessings that we had. She continued to be that same person until the day she went to the Lord. Even when I was in the Army and far away I always felt close to my parents and talked to them often. They would get most of my paycheck from the Army and put it away for me so that I would have a good start when I got out and it was that money that paid for my first car and got me started in my first job. I often tried to spend that money on a car before I got out but it was Mom who kept reminding me that it was for a later time. It must have been hard for both of my parents during my absence as I know they could have used some of the financial support I could have provided if I stayed home. Mom always encouraged me to move on in life and better myself and her advice was always timely, though I probably didn't always take it. But that is what good mothers try to do for their children and Mom always was a good mother. This is our first Mother's Day without her and both Rita and I miss her so much.

No comments: